Monday, June 21, 2010

Something to think about...

The question of the day on thebump.com is:
Do you have plans for family to come visit after the baby is born? Will they come to the hospital? To your house? What sort of "rules" will you set up for visitors?
I was amazed at how many people did not want visitors! Of course I want visitors! I want to show off this amazing creature that I have been growing in my belly for so long!
Now, as far as who will be there while I am in labor, I really thing I just want Chris there. In my head, I am imagining myself listening to my already prepared playlist on my ipod, trying to relax and have the room as quiet/peaceful as possible. This may be a fantasy, but it is my hope for it to be this way.
Rules??? Some people had rules like "If they come to my house, they have to do 1 load of laundry and cook 1 meal"....well, as nice as that would be, I would never demand that any family/friends do this in order to visit us!! RUDE. I won't have rules. Come visit, stay as long as you want, but when it's time for me to sleep, you will have to entertain yourself =).
After I wrote this post, I decided to create my birth plan (yes, I am extremely bored at work). Here is what I have come up with so far, with the help of the bump.com's birth plan checklist:
  1. My delivery is planned as vaginal
  2. I'd like Chris ONLY present before and/or during labor
  3. During labor, I'd like music played (I will provide), the lights dimmed, the room as quiet as possible, as few interuptions as possible, hospital staff to be limited to my own doctor and nurses (no students, residents or interns), Chris to take video and/or pictures, to stay hydrated with water and ice chips.
  4. I'd like to spend the first stage of labor walking around (if possible).
  5. I'm not interested in an enema, shaving of my pubic area, a catheter, or an IV (unless I am dehydrated).
  6. I'd like fetal monitoring to be continuous.
  7. I'd like labor augmentation preformed only if baby is in distress.
  8. For pain relief, I'd like to use breathing techniques and message before getting a standard epidural (only when pain is too much to handle).
  9. For delivery, I would like to use foot petals for support.
  10. As the baby is being delivered, I would like to push without time limits (as long as baby and I are not at risk), avoid forceps usage, avoid vaccum extraction, and help catch the baby.
  11. I do not want an episiotomy.
  12. Immediately after delivery, I would like Chris to cut the umbilical cord and to either bank the cord blood or donate it (we still haven't made a decision about this). I would like to deliver the placenta spontaneously and without assistance.
  13. If a C-section is necessary, I would like to make sure ALL other options have been exhausted, to stay concious, for Chris to be with me at all times, and for Chris to be able to hold the baby as soon as possible.
  14. I would like to hold the baby immediately after delivery.
  15. I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible after delivery.
  16. I would like family and friends to have unlimited visiting after delivery (and after I am cleaned up).
  17. I'd like the baby's medical exam and procedures given in my presence.
  18. Please don't give baby sugar water or formula.
  19. I'd like to feed the baby only with breastmilk and with the help of a lactation specialist.
  20. I'd like baby's first bath given by me.
  21. I'd like baby to stay in my room all of the time.
  22. I'd like Chris to have unlimited visiting and to sleep in my room.
  23. If we have a boy, circumcision should be performed.
  24. As needed post-delivery, please give me extra-stregth acetaminophen.
  25. After birth, I would like to stay in the hospital as briefly as possible.
  26. If baby is not well, I would like Chris and I to accompany her to the NICU or other facility, to breastfeed or provide pumped breastmilk and to hold her whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment